Saturday 7 January 2012

Chicken Noodle Soup

Waste not want not! This is a chicken carcass from one of those store bought BBQ chickens. I would have usually removed the skin but it was frozen. I keep them in the freezer until I have time to make soup.

Place carcass in slow cooker, fill with water until carcass is pretty much covered. Cover and cook on high for 4 hours.


After 4 hours, let cool slightly.

With your hands, separate bones and meat leaving meat in broth and removing bones. Let cool in fridge for a few hours or overnight.

Skim the top to remove all fat solids. (I transferred mine into another bowl only because I needed to use my slow cooker for something else)


Add carrots, potatoes, celery,  noodles, salt and pepper to broth.


I like using a little chopper for the carrots, makes things a lot easier.

Add 2 cups of extra water. Cook on high for about 4 hours.


Let cool.


With only two of us, we won't eat this whole pot right away so I like to freeze individual servings by laddling soup into a ziploc bag that's sitting in a cup.

Lay flat and freeze.


Chicken Noodle Soup
1 chicken carcass
8-12 cups water
2 cups baby carrots
2 large potatoes or several baby ones
5 celery stalks
1 cup whole wheat macaroni noodles
1 tbsp salt
2 tsp pepper

No comments:

Post a Comment